Powerful Speeches on Discipline from David Goggins, Will Smith, Eric Thomas, Freddy Fri, Les Brown, and more!



The thing about Self-Discipline is that it is necessary for everything you do in your life. You have to be self-disciplined. If you change your mindset and really focus on what discipline really is, you start to welcome discipline, you welcome self-discipline into your life.

I want freedom and for me disciplining myself means more freedom.

 99% of people are not willing to do what it takes to make their dreams come true. The Marines have a saying "Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die". The centre of bringing any dream into fruition is self-discipline. You know something as simple as food and eating, is not about your body as much as it is about your mind, it's about getting command of your mind, to be able to choose actions that are in your own best interest. Every day we are choosing stuff that's not in our own best interest, so if the world is attacking you, the world wants to fight you and the world's trying to hold you down... are you going to kick yourself in the balls?, are you going to stop yourself
from getting what you dream?

~ Working out, you have to work out every day. You have to stay in shape... I mean if you don't stay in shape you die. But working out has to be a priority for every single day because you got things going on in your business world and with your family and all that. So guess what, it’s a priority for my life so I do it in the morning before my day even starts so I can still handle the priorities for the day but I got my workout done.

So long-term I look up in a year and I'm not out of shape and breathing hard when I go up the stairs because I maintain that discipline on a daily basis.

~ When I'm working out I always do one extra rep, one extra set, because it's a promise I have kept to my self. And here's the biggest thing, it's a pattern. It's a pattern I keep of me. I always do a little extra, I always go an extra inch and the quickest and easiest place to do it, is the gym because I can always grab one more weight, one more set and look at what it does? It shifts your identity.

~ The benefit of discipline in my eyes has always been that through discipline I get things done.

~ Most people go through life never discovering what their talents are, most people never develop their talents. You need to tell yourself no more snacks, no more desserts, no more TV, no more no, we working out now.

You have skills and abilities but if you don't nurture them, if you don't develop them they will never serve you. Your gifts can take you to many places if you develop them. And that if you decide that my life deserves my developing, this what I do well...I grant you that if you begin to work to develop your gifts, you'll develop a strong sense of happiness, you'll get a larger vision of yourself because part of beginning to get a larger vision of yourself, all of us need some area of our lives where we can have a feeling of competence.

When other folks are having a good time, you've got to have the strength of character. As you begin to develop and expand your skills, your talents and your vision of yourself, you will always be in control of your destiny.

~ The best gifts come from the bottom.

~ I value myself enough to give 120% or don't do it. Why are you only giving 50%, what's wrong with you? You need to tell you that you owe you something.

~ It's so easy to be great nowadays because most people are weak. This is a softened generation, so if you have any mental toughness, any ability, you have any fraction of self-discipline, the ability to not want to do it but still do it, people have a hard thing to understand this. I hate to run and what makes me so crazy is people will be asking "why do you run if you hate it?". What are you talking about? I don't want to take showers and eat either, I hate that too. That's the whole thing about life and it wasn't until I changed that mentality, then I became somebody. I hated going to school, so guess what, I was dumb but if you can get through to doing things that you hate to do, on the other side is greatness. That's what people don't understand.

By me running, I'm callusing my mind. I'm not training for a race, I'm training for life, I'm training for the time when I get that two o'clock in the morning call that my mom is dead
or something tragic happens, I don't fall apart. I'm training my mind, my body and my spirit, so it's all one, so I can handle what life is going to throw at me because the life I've lived, it throws a whole bunch at you and if you're not physically and mentally prepared for that, you're just going to crumble
and you're good for nobody.

~ I think the word DISCIPLINE has kind of gotten a bad name, we think about it in terms of punishment. I'm not talking about discipline in that way, I'm talking about discipline
in the sense that you forego immediate pleasure for the exchange of long term self-respect. I believe that self-discipline, is the definition of self-love, that when you say you love yourself, it means that
you have behaviour towards yourself that is loving.

Self-discipline is the centre of all material success. You cannot win the war against the world if you can't win the war against your own mind.

  • Self-love is when you say to yourself, "Man look, I know you and that girl got a real connection, I know y'all vibe but that's your girl's cousin so I love you too much to let you do that." 
  • It's like you say to yourself  "man look, I know you want to eat that pizza and it'll be really good you know but I can't let you eat that man because if you eat that pizza you gonna feel like crap, you know and I, I just I love you too much to let you eat that". 
  • Self-love is "Eh look, I know you go a test on Monday, you know and I know you really want to go out with your friends, it's Saturday night you want to go out but if you fail that test, you're not gonna feel good about yourself, you know I just I love you too much to let you go out tonight."


Self-discipline is self-love. If you wanna be happy you have to love yourself which means you have
to discipline your behaviour. The road to sustained happiness is through disciplining your behaviour.

We tend to base our self-esteem on what other people think and that's not really self-esteem. Self-esteem is supposed to be how we feel about ourselves and I was just saying how dangerous it is to allow other people to determine how you're gonna feel about you. It's kind of like looking into a broken mirror, you're going to look at a broken mirror and then change your face to try to look good
in this defiled busted broken mirror and it's just other people's opinions, it's a really bad way to determine how we feel about ourselves.

Comments